We talked about "What Ifs?" and talked about previous assignment also.
Towards the end, it felt kinda weird.
Honestly, I felt bad about what we did with the chairs in class for the next class.
I know we're doing this as an art, and it's supposed to be fun, but I didn't feel that way. There's always a way to create or be creative without affecting other people. It makes me feel kinda disrespectful and rude.
So, here's what we did with the chairs hopefully, the class after didn't have to use hammer or other tools to disassemble the chairs.
I understand how you feel, but I have to ask - why did you leave the room that way if you felt so bad about doing so??? Or even more, why did you participate? I am not busting your chops, just pointing out that you have free will. I think we tend to forget that, especially in the classroom... I hope you see what I mean. Don't just get caught up in a group mentality - remember to stand up for what you think. Speak up - you have a lot of valuable thoughts but you don't share them. The world would be a better place if you did.
ReplyDeleteFor the record, I feel weird about the way we left the room too. I went to one of our deans when class was over and let her know what we did in case anyone formally complains. I assumed full responsibility and explained that it was an exercise in creative experimentation. She was OK with it, but I don't think we should do it again!
I really feel bad about adding so much to someone's bad day - there was one girl in the hall who really had a fit and she obviously holds a lot of anger in herself and we just added to that. I felt a bit like I was sticking my hand in a beehive! I almost went back right then to straighten the chairs, but I think that provocation was actually part of our reason for doing the sculpture, so I did not. Maybe I should have...
Hence the unannounced assignment (check Oncourse.) But (also for the record) I thought what we did was pretty neat looking and different - sometimes you really have to weigh the benefits vs. the drawbacks of "art" and consider the repercussions of your actions. I just hope the student who was so pissed doesn't transfer that anger on to someone else...
I wonder if those students will remember this day? And I also wonder if they will complain about classes who arrange the chairs in circles in the future? By comparison to what we did today a circle is nothing!
But it was not a kind thing we did, so we should find a way to make their lives a little brighter next week... And we should also remember that we never have to participate in (or leave) something that does not feel right to us. That is why we have free will.